C. Paul Barnhart opened its doors to students and community in January of 1994. Our school is located in the Lancaster neighborhood of St. Charles, which is about 25 miles south of Washington, D.C. The building is 2 floors and approximately 65,000 square feet. Barnhart was one of the first multi-story elementary schools in Charles County. Barnhart currently has 613 students enrolled in classes from the 3-year-old program through fifth grade.
C. Paul Barnhart, born Oct. 4, 1908, in Hagerstown, Md., served as Superintendent of Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) from 1956 to 1963. While superintendent, Barnhart oversaw the implementation of the school system's first kindergarten classes and the expansion of central office staff to include supervisors in the areas of music, science, transportation, school lunch and purchasing. Barnhart began his educational career as a history teacher at Williamsport and Hagerstown high schools. He later served as principal of Greenbelt and Bladensburg high schools before becoming assistant superintendent of Washington County Public Schools. After leaving CCPS, Barnhart served as Chief of Party for the Radio and Television Education Project in Lagos, Nigeria as part of the United States' International Development Program.
"Paul Barnhart loved Charles County. He loved Maryland; his education, career, his families, his co-workers, his church and the privilege of his life." - Henrietta G. Barnhart
"Where There is Hope – All Students Succeed"
- Colors: Blue & White
- Mascot: Blue Jay